Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Lies

Abigail Williams: “Let either of you breathe a word, or the edge of a word, about the other things, and I will come to you in the black of some terrible night and I will bring a pointy reckoning that will shudder you.”
I know I should not have been out dancing that night. I should not have taken the other girls with me, either. But it was exciting. And we did not mean for Betty to get sick. That part is not my fault, though. Everything would have been fine if Uncle had not shown up in the woods while we were out there. Betty is scared, nothing else. The problem is that some of the adults in the village disagree. They say that witchcraft is behind it. That is why no one else can know about the charm I cast or the blood I drank. If they found out, we would be in much more trouble than we are now. Instead of just being punished for the dancing, we would also be punished for witchcraft, and that is much worse a crime than dancing. We will not be in as much trouble this way. Yes, it is better for us to lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment